Pages

Wednesday 19 July 2017

WLJ Day 4 Swimming with the Sharks - Activity 1

Farewell Spit

Farewell Spit has been in the news recently as a number of whales accidentally swam into the spit and became stuck on the beach. They were unable to swim back to the ocean because the water was too shallow. Many local people tried to save the ‘beached’ whales. Please follow this Farewell Spit link to learn more about what happened. On your blog, describe what the local people did to try and save the beached whales.

It was very sad News. I heard that people splash water on the whales. They also put towels to cover the whales from the sun, and they dug the sand to reach the water. But three hundred whales died.




3 comments:

  1. Hi Julianna,

    It really was very sad, wasn't it? I feel terrible for the whales and for the locals who did everything that they could to try and save the whales. Apparently the whales made the mistake of following their leader into shallow water and, when the tide went out, they became stuck (or beached) on the sand. I am very hopeful that this will not happen again. If it does, however, I will do everything that I can to join in and help out. I really enjoy helping out where I can. When I was younger I used to volunteer at my local hospital. I was responsible for delivering the meals to the patients in the long-term rehabilitation ward. It was a really great experience.

    Have you ever had the chance to volunteer anywhere?

    Cheers,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel

    I have volunteered before. I helped my Mum clean her car and it was fun because my brother was helping as well. We got so soaking wet because we kept splashing the water on each other. I think you have been kind and helpful to the sick people in the hospital. I agree that you are very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julianna,

      It is so nice to read that you and your brother helped your mom with her car. Aronui sometimes helps me as well and we usually have a huge water fight. It's so much fun!

      Bye for now,

      Rachel :)

      Delete