Pages

Monday 23 November 2020

Day 1 of year 6 camp - Kawau Island / Camp Bentzon

 Day 1 of year 6 camp - Kawau Island / Camp Bentzon



These are the owners of Camp Bentzon. Peter and Erin!
|
V

Local Matters



Year 6 camp at Camp Bentzon was such an amazing experience! I loved every single bit of it. 


On Tuesday morning it was a nice bright sunny day. I was so excited because it was the day that we were leaving for camp! I quickly got up and got changed. 


My dad dropped us (My Mum, Brother and I) off at school. Once we arrived I said goodbye and kissed him on the cheek. Kris and I got our big bags and loaded it on the bus that had already arrived. Everyone who was going to Kawau Island hopped into the bus. The bus ride was going to be around 1 hour and 30 minutes so I got comfy. 


After ages we finally got to our destination. We were at a place called Sandspit ( yes an odd name). We exited out of the bus and loaded our bags onto a big ferry. I sat on the top level and enjoyed the view. It was so fascinating. 


When we arrived at Camp Bentzon we took all of the luggage and set it down on the big deck. After that, everyone had to go on a hike up killer mountain. I was already tired after two steps but I kept on going. We reached the ancient pile of stones. It represents how much people survived Killer mountain. Atawhai, one of the campers, took a rock and said a blessing and then placed it proudly on top of the pile.  


After that we had a little snack. Once we were all charged up we continued to walk. We were heading to a beach that was near. I was so exhausted. As soon as we got to the beach we all ate lunch. For a while everyone mucked around and chased each other. Once it was time to go we grabbed our bags and walked sadly back to the campsite. 


We were all sad because the hike was tiring and we had to go all the way back. My friend Sophie, Milz and I got lost together so we had to navigate our way back. We almost made a mistake but luckily at the end we made it. We also called ourselves the Navigation sisters.


I was very tired but excited because it was time to see our cabins. I went inside of the building and went upstairs to the rooms. I looked for my name. “Yay! I exclaimed, I was with Gabby, Jade, Finau and Sophie! Even though some of my other friends weren't there I was still happy that I was with some friends.


We all got changed into our togs because we were going for a swim! I packed everything and went outside and lined up. We went to the ocean and rushed in. It was so cold but refreshing. My friends and I played games and jumped off the pontoon.


It was so fun. We all got sent out of the water to have a shower and get changed. Next we sat down on the deck in our teams. I was the leader for team Katz along with my buddy leaders, Kiarah, Jezer and Julius.  There were 4 teams, Katz, Mansion, Kawau and Bentzon.


One by one we got into the dinning room. We lined up to eat dinner. There was chicken, Potatoes, Vegetables and dessert (Dessert was my favourite). For dessert we had Ice cream, Chocolate sauce, wafers, apple crumble, Jelly and sprinkles!


After dinner we all got sent to another room. We were told that we were going to watch a movie. I was so excited to see which movie we were going to watch. Turns out it was an old movie but it was actually very enjoyable. It was a mix of Comedy, Drama, Horror, romance and thriller! 


The Movie was called ‘The Princess Bride’. After the movie we all went upstairs and went to sleep in our new rooms.



2 comments:

  1. Hey Julianna!

    Camp was so much fun and we are so lucky to have been able to go there! Although the trip there and back was long, they 4 days that we stayed there was so much fun! I loved abseiling the most, how about you? I also liked orienteering with you and Adriana.
    The movie was also very cool! It's one of my favorites!!

    From Aye :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aye!
      Thank you for commenting on my blog! Yes I loved abseiling too!, but it was still a bit scary. Also I don't think Adriana liked it right? -_-

      From Julianna :D

      Delete